Connect with us

Regulation

SEC lands $700K victory in another ICO court case

Published

on



After years of legal action from United States governing bodies, Blockvest, a 2018 initial coin offering, or ICO, has received its final orders. 

“The SEC, as a government agency, seeks a permanent injunction, disgorgement of funds received from Defendants’ illegal conduct, and civil penalties,” said a court document filed on Thursday. The court case takes aim at both Blockvest, and its founder, Reginald Buddy Ringgold III, also known as Rasool Abdul Rahim El.

The Securities and Exchange Commission put the brakes on Blockvest in October 2018. The following two years saw a number of legal dealings and developments. Today’s news brings the saga to a close.

The SEC’s rationale for permanent injunction claims Blockvest and Ringgold knew their actions were wrong, but proceeded with the ICO anyway, covering up what they could during legal proceedings. Ringgold had not registered the token sale with the SEC but claimed otherwise: 

“Defendants misrepresented that the initial coin offering was ‘registered’ with and ‘approved’ by the SEC and used SEC’s logo,” the document detailed.

The defendants also falsely claimed connections to the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, or CFTC, and the National Futures Association, or NFA.

Additionally, the document lists other offenses, such as inventing:

“A fictitious regulatory agency, the Blockchain Exchange Commission (‘BEC’), creating its own fake government seal, logo, and mission statement that are nearly identical to the SEC’s seal, logo, mission statement as well as using the same address as the SEC’s headquarters.”

Blockvest and Ringgold must pay multiple sums of compensation, including refunding the capital that participants put toward in the offering. Disgorgement payments, interest and civil penalties come out to a cost of $696,097.90, as per the document. The defendants must also abide by a number of restraints and conditions.



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Deine E-Mail-Adresse wird nicht veröffentlicht. Erforderliche Felder sind mit * markiert.

Regulation

New York authorizes first Yen stablecoin operator in the US

Published

on

By



New York has given the first authorization to a stablecoin backed by the Japanese Yen to operate in the U.S.

Per a Dec. 29 announcement, the New York Department of Financial Services has granted Japanese firm GMO-Z.com a charter to handle U.S.D. and Yen-backed stablecoins in New York. 

Given New York’s status as a global center, the NYDFS is the most prominent state financial regulator in the U.S. It is also one of the most aggressive. A pass to operate in New York often opens up the rest of the country. 

GMO’s charter is as a limited liability trust company rather than a full bank, the principle difference being in authorization to handle deposits. While a stablecoin operator typically needs the ability to hold reserves of the pegged asset, GMO’s charter limits its rights to hold other kinds of deposits not central to its ability “to issue, administer, and redeem” its stablecoins. 

The right to issue such non-depository charters has been a bone of contention between state regulators like the NYDFS and national banking regulators in the U.S. 

GMO president and CEO Ken Nakamura said: “We’re breaking ground with our move to issue the first regulated JPY-pegged stablecoin, which many see as a safe haven asset.” 

The NYDFS recently made changes to its famous BitLicense, including a conditional format that buddies up newly licensed firms with existing licensees. The first conditional BitLicense went to PayPal, facilitating the launch of its new crypto services earlier this fall with the help of longstanding licensee Paxos.